Top Plant-Based Diet Benefits You Can EnjoyJun 13, 2022
Wake Up to Something Different
Do you sometimes wake up in the morning and just wish something was different? I’m not talking about waking up to find you’ve hit the jackpot lottery or have an all-expense-paid vacation waiting for you, although I am sure these would be welcomed big surprises! I am talking about things that matter much more on a personal, physical, mental and emotional level. For example, like waking up to find:
- You have more energy
- You no longer need to check your blood sugar levels daily
- You can worry less about you or a loved one having a heart attack in the near future
- Your blood pressure reading is in the normal range
- The list of daily medications you need to take (and their corresponding side effects) has been cut in half
Here’s the good news: all this CAN be possible and more!
Did you know? Eating a high-fiber whole food, plant-based diet can provide you with a myriad of health benefits. Listed below are just a highlight of the positive impact plant-based eating can have on your body.
Plant-Based Diet Health Benefits
Besides nourishing our bodies with the richest natural sources of nutrient-dense, health-promoting foods, a number of large-scale studies have found that people on vegan or plant-based diets tend to
- Experience a lower incidence of total cancer cases
- Have a reduced risk of getting heart disease
- Experience less all-cause mortality
- Enjoy weight loss
- Have healthier, more stable and diverse gastrointestinal (GI) systems
- Have lower cholesterol and fewer blood pressure problems
- Have improved glycemic control and less risk of type 2 diabetes
- Enjoy an increased metabolism and better insulin sensitivity
- Have less risk of breast cancer and other cancers
Some studies have reported that those on a vegan or plant-based diet have a lower risk of certain cancers like stomach cancer, bladder cancer, and lymphatic and hematopoietic tissue cancers, while others show an association with vegans and plant-based eaters having a lower risk of prostate cancer, colorectal cancer and certain GI cancers. In addition, for those on a whole food, plant-based diet, many existing health conditions can potentially be improved, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease and high blood pressure.
Better yet, more research is beginning to emerge showing the potential benefits of high fiber diets reducing dementia risk and of how a diet rich in whole plant-based foods can slow cognitive decline as people age. Now that’s a bonus for those who are on a whole food, plant-based diet!
Ready for a Change?
So want to strengthen your body and improve your health? Start today to make your plant-based diet transition! While the most health benefits and transformation will come from eating as complete a whole food, plant-based diet as possible, your body will still benefit tremendously from each bite of plant-based food you feed it. I am not talking about the heavily processed commercial vegan products now commonly available – I am talking about adding in as much unprocessed and minimally processed whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds as you can into your meals regularly. These are all wonderful foods with a variety of tastes, colors and textures to enjoy on a plant-based diet.
I hope you can see from these benefits listed above just how plant-based eating can build your health and truly make a difference in your life. Are you ready to make the shift? I am here to support you!
- Orlich MJ, Chiu THT, Dhillon PK, Key TJ, Fraser GE, Shridhar K, Agrawal S, Kinra S. Vegetarian Epidemiology: Review and Discussion of Findings from Geographically Diverse Cohorts. Adv Nutr. 2019 Nov 1;10(Suppl_4):S284-S295.
- Kahleova H, Petersen KF, Shulman GI, Alwarith J, Rembert E, Tura A, Hill M, Holubkov R, Barnard ND. Effect of a Low-Fat Vegan Diet on Body Weight, Insulin Sensitivity, Postprandial Metabolism, and Intramyocellular and Hepatocellular Lipid Levels in Overweight Adults: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Nov 2;3(11):e2025454.
Before You Go, Grab this FREE Resource
If you would like to learn how to start plant-based eating or to begin a whole food plant-based diet, grab this FREE resource “Beginner’s Quick Guide to Must-Know Plant-Based Diet Basics” to help you on your journey.
This FREE guide gives you the essentials you need to get started, including key terms to know about, rich plant-based sources of important nutrients, and some top budget money-saving tips. This guide is perfect for anyone interested in transitioning to a plant-based diet. So grab this guide if you’re looking for tips for eating a plant-based diet!